Help Reach Our Zero Waste Goal
Telluride is working hard to divert waste from the local landfill by reducing, reusing, and recycling.
We encourage you to help us by joining our efforts.
Annual Spring Clean-up Event
- Spring Clean-Up usually takes place in May in the Telluride Carhenge parking lot.
- Please join us for a chance to dispose of large items, appliances, scrap metal, vehicle batteries, tires, and more.
- Details for the next event coming soon!
- This event typically runs concurrently with the electronics recycling hosted by EcoAction Partners and the Household Hazardous waste disposal hosted by San Miguel County.
- EcoAction Partners also hosts an electronic waste recycling event in the fall.
General Waste Reduction Efforts
- When is my pickup day? If you are renting a home, ask your Property Manager. Each home is likely to have different days and times.
- What goes into the blue recycling bin? View our Recycling Tips for detailed information.
- Grocery Bags – To help reduce waste, Telluride has banned plastic grocery bags and placed a 10-cent fee on each recycled-content paper bag that you can buy at the store. If you did not bring a re-usable grocery bag with you or your host has not left some for you to use during your stay, reusable bags are available for purchase at local stores.
- The Free Box – The Free Box is a great place to find and leave gently used items that can be used again. It is maintained by the Public Works Department. Please respect the Free Box rules. Do not leave anything on the sidewalk next to the Free Box and please do not leave electronics, furniture or heavily used or soiled items at the Free Box.
- Reusable To-Go Cups – We all love to get a coffee or tea to go! Bring a reusable coffee mug and some coffee purveyors will give you a discount.
Telluride Plastics Ordinance
- In 2011, the Town of Telluride banned disposable plastic bags while mandating certain standards and a fee for using permitted paper bags. Learn more by reviewing the Telluride Municipal Code, Chapter 7, Article 7 here.
- In 2022, the Town of Telluride passed a prohibition and ban on the use or sale of certain plastic materials and products. Learn more by reviewing the Telluride Municipal Code, Chapter 7, Article 8 here.