Licenses in Telluride

Want to do business in the Town of Telluride? We welcome your business to Telluride. To assist you in business planning, we offer the following information.

Business Licenses

Anyone doing business in the Town of Telluride or Lawson Hill must obtain a business license from the Town of Telluride. Non-profits are exempt from this requirement. Proceeds from business license fees are distributed to Marketing Telluride, Inc. for regional marketing (74%), the Open Space fund (20%) and a portion is retained by the town to support program administration (6%). Fees for licenses vary according to the type of business and number of employees. A separate license is required for each business location.


Vending is defined as selling goods or services outside of a building and is strictly regulated by the Telluride Municipal Code Chapter 6 Article 4. A vending permit is required. The code outlines the program for selection of vending sites on a seasonal basis. Vending on the Highway 145 Spur is strictly prohibited.

Liquor Licenses

Anyone wishing to serve alcohol to the general public or to obtain a liquor license for a bar, restaurant or package liquor store can obtain applications at the Town Clerk’s office. New liquor licenses are approved by Town Council and the State of Colorado, and can take up to two months to process. Special event liquor permits are issued to non-profit organizations.

Medical and Retail Marijuana Licenses

The sale and cultivation of medical and / or retail marijuana and infused products requires a medical or retail marijuana license. New marijuana licenses are approved by the Combined Medical / Retail Marijuana Licensing Authority and the State of Colorado. Applications for marijuana licenses for medical / or retail marijuana centers, infused products manufacturing operations, and optional off-site premises cultivation are available through the Town Clerk's Department.

If you have specific questions about business licenses, vending permits, liquor licenses or medical marijuana licenses, please contact the Town Clerk Department.

Useful Business Contacts

EcoActions Partners
  • (970) 728-1340
Colorado Secretary of State Business Center
  • (303) 894-2200
Colorado Department of Revenue
U.S. Small Business Administration
  • (800) 827-5722