National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

The Town of Telluride participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help reduce insurance premiums for property owners.

Forms / Permits

Related Resources

What is the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)?

The NFIP is a Federal program created by Congress to mitigate future flood losses nationwide through sound, community-enforced building, and zoning ordinances and to provide access to affordable, federally backed flood insurance protection for property owners. The NFIP is designed to provide an insurance alternative to disaster assistance to meet the escalating costs of repairing damage to buildings and their contents caused by floods.

Participation in the NFIP is based on an agreement between local communities and the Federal Government that states that if a community will adopt and enforce a floodplain management ordinance (Telluride Land Use Code Article 8 Division 6 (PDF) to reduce future flood risks to new construction in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs), the Federal Government will make flood insurance available within the community as financial protection against flood losses.

How is flood insurance purchased?

Since standard homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding, it’s important to have protection from a flood disaster. After a community joins the NFIP, a policy may be purchased from any licensed property insurance agent or broker who is in good standing in the state in which the agent is licensed. The agent will complete the flood insurance application, obtain the proper supporting documentation required, and determine the rates for establishing the flood insurance program.

To determine if your property is in a flood zone and subject to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) regulations and flood insurance requirements locate your property on the Town of Telluride Floodplain/Geohazards Structures Map (PDF) or the Telluride Flood Plain and Geological Hazard Map (PDF)

The Building Official, Sam Samuelson is a Certified Colorado Flood Plain Manager. For specific questions regarding your property in a designated flood zone or geological hazard area, you can contact Sam Samuelson at (970) 728-2143.

FEMA Elevation Certificates are required for properties in a designated Flood Zone for any new construction and additions to existing structures to be submitted by a professional land surveyor. For insurance information contact the Building Department at (970) 728-2175 to determine if a FEMA Elevation Certificate is on file for your property.