Planning & Building, Historic Preservation
Steps to begin a remodel or new construction project:
- HARC Application(PDF) for all exterior changes (including doors and windows). Submit a HARC Application.
- After HARC approval, submit a Building Permit Application Online with SmartGov.
- Schedule inspections through the SmartGov Portal.
- Contact the Town of Mountain Village for electrical and plumbing permits and inspections in the Town of Telluride.
- How can I find what zoning regulations apply to my property?
The Land Use Code sets forth standards for development within the various districts of Town. Each zone district has certain uses that apply to that particular district; for example, dimensional limitations, parking and affordable housing requirements vary based upon each district. To find what district your property is located in, refer to the Zone District Map and then apply the Land Use Code standards for your district.
- Do I need a permit to cut, relocate or remove a tree?
Yes, an application must be reviewed by department staff per Land Use Code regulations. Once you have submitted your application, an on-site visit typically occurs next in order to assess the health of the tree and nature of the surrounding area. Review your requirements in Land Use Code Article 3 Division 5. Tree Removal Application
- Do I need approval by the Town to make an addition or alteration to my property? If so, what is the procedure?
Yes, per Land Use Code regulations, approval by the Town must be obtained prior to an addition or alteration to a structure. Projects fall under one of four categories: Large Scale, Small Scale, Minor, or Insubstantial. All projects are reviewed by either department staff, Chairperson or the entire Historic & Architectural Review Commission (HARC). For more details, or to determine the scale of your project, please see Land Use Code Table 5-1.
- Do I need a permit to install a sign for my business?
Yes! You need a permit to install a sign for your business.
In an effort to preserve the traditional nature of Town, all signage goes through staff-level review with the Planning Department. Issuance of a Certificate of Appropriateness must occur prior to installation.
A HARC Sign Application(PDF) and Land Use Code Regulations (Article 3, Division 4) can be found on the Historic Preservation Department's webpage. Copies are also available in the Planning Department located at Rebekah Hall, 113 W. Columbia Avenue, Telluride.
The Final Public Review Period for Telluride’s Com... Read on...